Drinking fountains and water coolers are located throughout our camp facility. In addition, you may choose to pack a refillable water bottle for your camper EVERYDAY. Camp Leaders will ensure that campers are refilling their water bottles and staying hydrated throughout the day.
Camp parents are required to sunscreen their child every morning before camp. We have several sunscreen stations located throughout camp where Leaders will ensure that campers are reapplying sunscreen throughout the day, and will help our younger campers reapply.
You may choose to send a sack lunch, or purchase a lunch on non-field trip days. On field-trip days, campers are required to bring a sack-lunch (except for the Tweens on the Move, who can purchase meals while on trips). If you wish to order lunches, the menu will be provided in the Parent Newsletter emailed weekly.
• On every Camper’s first day (regardless of which day of Camp it is), Campers will take a swim test. • We have Lifeguards on duty at all times as well as camp Leaders monitoring the pool ensuring camper safety. Wristband Policy If a Camper passes their swim test, they will be given ONE green wristband, letting Leaders and Lifeguards know they are able to safely swim in the deep-end of the pool. They MUST wear the wristband at all times while swimming. If they are not wearing it, even if they passed, they CAN NOT swim in the deep-end, no exceptions. If a Camper loses their green wristband, we will give them ONE replacement. If they should lose their replacement, they are no longer permitted to swim in the deep-end. Please ensure your camper is either wearing the green wristband or has it in their backpack before they get to camp.
Campers are placed in co-ed groups based on the grade they are going into in the fall. Campers are greeted by camp Leaders and Directors every morning and we will introduce new campers to their Leader and other campers in their group. When camp begins, we start the day with ‘Opening Circle’ where we will sing songs, make announcements and call each camper by name when their group is called to ensure they know where to go.
Unfortunately, no. We have found that visitors disrupt camper’s schedules and their camp experiences. We post photos daily on valleytrails.com for you to share with your camper when they come home. Viewing the photos with your camper is a great way for you to ask them questions about their day, activities and people in the photos.
• Not a problem, we understand if you are running late. If you miss the bus in the morning, please drive to the next stop on their bus route or you can drive them directly to camp. In the afternoon, if you miss the bus please go to the next bus stop. We encourage you to call the camp office and let them know you are running late so we can notify the Leaders on the bus.
• No camper will ever be left un-attended at a pick up/drop off location under any circumstance.
• If you need to pick your camper up from camp early for any reason, please call the office as early as possible. This will ensure that we have the camper in the office with their belongings ready to go home when you come to pick them up. • If your camper is at Castaic Lake, we cannot bring them back early. Please visit the camp website to check the ‘Lake Schedule’ of when your camper will be attending the lake program.
Campers will need to bring a backpack to camp every day and stored on our backpack racks Items to be packed include:
• Bathing suit
• Water bottle
• Lunch (if they would like their own)
• Hat or visor (optional, but encouraged)
Absolutely! While they may not be at an activity at the same time, there are plenty of chances for siblings to see each other during the day. They will have the chance to play together before camp begins and during lunch. There may also be times when two groups are playing soccer together or are swimming at the same time. When their groups are together, this is a great opportunity for siblings to share the camp experience.
Campers are placed in groups based on the grade they are going into in the fall. We are happy to put friends in the same groups as long as they will be in the same grade! On the camper registration page, there is an option to put the name of another camper(s) you would like to be in the same group with.
Campers must stay with their groups at all times. We carefully select group schedules to ensure that campers are having the opportunity to participate in all camp activities throughout the week. If a camper does not want to participate in an activity, they will stay with their group and have the chance to rest, talk with other campers, etc.
Not a problem! Please call the office ASAP and let the office staff know of the change. We will ensure that their group leader informs your camper of the change and does not get onto a bus or in the carpool line during dismissals.
• Every parent will receive camp placards with their camper’s names on them via email. Whoever has this placard has the permission of the parent to pick up their camper. Placards must be shown every day to the Bus Leader, Carpool Leader, or After Camp Leader.
• If you do not have a placard to give them, please call the office and let the office staff know who is picking your camper up so we can make note of it. Please ensure the person picking your camper up has a photo I.D. on them to show a Valley Trails Leader.
Valley Trails Summer Camp offers camp from 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Extended Camp is included for free from 6:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m., and from 3:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. for $5 per day.